A variety of social activities are sponsored by the Berlin Senior Center daily for those age 55 and older. Below is a list of activities that have been offered in the past. Please consult the Senior Newsletter "INSIGHT" link at the top of the page for a complete list of current events and activities:
- Trips - One-day and extended trips suitable for senior travel.
- Card parties (daily)
- Billiards (tournaments w/ Wautoma Seniors)
- Bowling (Mondays at 1 p.m. at Berlin Lanes)
- Line Dancing
- Berlin Senior Singers
- Craft Projects
- Exercise - low impact (see calendar)
- Monthly birthday meal
- Monthly cooking program
- Veterans Socialization Group meets every 2nd Tuesday at 12:30 p.m.
- Caregiver Support Group meets the 3rd Thursday of each month at 12:30 p.m.
- TOPS meets every Thursday at 4:30 p.m.
- Alcoholics Annonymous for Kids: Light Stepping ACA meets every Friday at 6:00 p.m.
- Alcoholics Anonymous for Adults meets every Friday at 8:00 p.m.
The Berlin Senior Center offers transportation services for any destination that will promote senior independent living including:
- Beauty parlor or barber
- Doctor's visits
Below is important information about our transportation program. If you have questions, please call us at 920-361-5422.
- Transportation services are available M-F from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Services are available year-round.
- Transportation services are fee based
- Our vehicles are handicap accessible.
- We also offer medical transport to nursing homes.
- We will shop for the homebound.
- Please call as soon as possible in advance to arrange for transportation (24 hour advance notice is recommended).
- We do NOT transport medical emergencies. Please call 911 for medical emergency transportation.
FRIENDS OF THE BERLIN SENIOR CENTER
- Meets Quarterly: Join Friends for $5.00 per person per year
- Mission of the Friends:
To give full support to the Berlin Senior Center to actively
involve, enlighten, enrich, and empower the independence
of older adults in our community.
1. 2008 - Purchased an abandoned house next to Senior
Center and turned land into a parking lot
2. 2012 - Built a new addition of 1,500 sq.ft. for a
community room, shared veteran office, and storage
space to the east end of the Senior Center.
1. 2009 - Received Newsmaker of the Year
2. 2010 - Anonymous Donor and Community Involvement
Funds 2 - year challenge
3. 2011 - Received Wisconsin Community Development
4. 2012 - Alliant Energy Foundation, Inc - $1,000 for
- Current Projects
1. Acoustical Ceiling Panes
2. Dome-shaped glass paneled door for sound and privacy
3. In and Out of State overnight trips
- Donations: Are always accepted and appreciated. The Friends of the Berlin Senior Center received approval for tax exempt status 501(c)(3) from the Internal Revenue Service on September 26, 2008
Your tax deductible contributions can be mailed to:
Friends of the Berlin Senior Center
Berlin Senior Center
142 Water Street
Berlin, WI 54923
The Berlin Senior Center sponsors question and answer sessions with speakers on a variety of topics. Below is a sample of past guest speaker topics:
- Update on Social Security
- Insurance Coverage
- Healthcare for the Eyes
- State & Local Politicians
If you have interest in a particular topic or know of a professional willing to be a guest speaker, please contact the Berlin Senior Center at 920-361-5422.
The Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) will be able to help with: (call toll-free 1-877-883-5378)
- Questions on household help
- Information on Home Healthcare
- Homebound meal deliveries
- Veteran transportation needs
- Aging concerns
Where can I report suspected elder abuse?
Call the Elder Abuse Hotline 920-294-4070.
HANDICAP EQUIPMENT LOANS
The Senior Center has a limited number of handicap items for temporary, short-term loan to Berlin Senior Center members. These items include:
- Wheel chairs
Please contact the Senior Center at 920-361-5422 for availability or for information about making equipment donations.
SENIOR NUTRITION GREEN LAKE CO. MEAL SITE
Nutritious meals for seniors are served each weekday at noon. Below are some important facts about our meal program:
- Please call the day before to sign up for senior meals 920-361-5422.
- All meals are cooked on-site by paid staff with the help of volunteers.
- Homebound meals are available for seniors in the Berlin area. Please call to arrange for this service 920-294-4122.
- We do not cook special meals for those guests with dietary restrictions. Please contact Berlin Hospital for information about meals for people with special dietary restrictions. We do, however, have fruit dessert substitutes for our diabetic guests.
- We serve 55-60 senior guests daily.
The Berlin Senior Center is an official AARP tax site offering tax preparation assistance during the tax season. See the February calendar.
Contact Karen at the Senior Center for volunteer opportunities to assist seniors with income tax preparation. 920-361-5422.
The Senior Center is always looking for volunteers, especially in the following areas:
- Telephone answering 8:30-11:00 a.m.
- Game Participants
- Small repair at the Senior Center
E-mail: Karen Neuman firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday thru Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Recreation & Senior Programming Coordinator: Karen Neuman
Recreation & Senior Programming Assistant: Shirley (Joy) Brooks
Music Director: Dorothy Kafer
Pianist: Mark Kasuboski
Nutrition: Debra Mirr
Van Drivers: Rand Bersch, Al Chikowski, and Tom Yancy
Meal Drivers: Jerry Sagel, Al Chikowski, and Judy Mekow
The Berlin Senior Center was awarded Small Business of the Year in 2012. Donations are always accepted and appreciated. Your tax deductible contributions can be mailed to:
Berlin Senior Center
142 Water Street
Berlin, WI 54923
CITY OF BERLIN COMMISSION ON AGING MEMBERS
Felicia Page, Liaison